Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pinner Betsy Pruitt


Meet the Pinner: Betsy Pruitt was featured in last year's Pinnovation as well, but we brought her back with fresh perspectives on the professional learning and collaboration associated with Pinterest. 

How would you describe your use of Pinterest?
I follow several respected educational entities, and I tend to Pin a lot of information from them because I know it will be good material. I try to never pin things that ask us to "pay" for a resource. Our profession needs to be more focused on collaborating and connecting with each other instead of competing! I have found lots of other Pinners whose Pins I like, so I follow them as well.

What have you gained from using Pinterest and how does it differ from other tools you use?Pinterest is the easiest curation tool I use because I do not have to inform people that I have pinned something. If they follow me or a particular board, they see the information in the Home feed right away. I have Boards for Education and personal topics. I just created two new Boards this week! I also love Twitter... it is very different, but I find it to be a great way to learn from a lot of well respected educators. Both tools allow me to share with my PLN on a consistent basis.

Do you have a favorite board you curate?
My AdLit101 Board is fun to curate. Teachers always ask me for resources to use in their literature classes and other content area classes to improve Literacy and they love what I share on this board. Many people check out other boards too and find things they may be interested in outside of education!

Can you share any advice for new Pinners? 
Find a few people whose ideas and content you like and follow them. There are many people and organizations I follow. 

Some of my favorites are: 
weareteachers.com  
ascd.org ncte.org 
edudemic.com 
edutopia.org 
secondarysolutionsblog.com  
teachthought.com  

You will begin to see the kind of content you enjoy and you can follow more and more people who are interested in the same things you are. If you repin something, you can usually scroll down to the bottom and see other pins related to the same topic.

I think it is really important to contribute to the resources you find useful. If you like Pinterest, you can install a button so you can Pin any content you create or come across that you think others would find helpful or inspirational. We are all better as a collective group when we work together. Happy Pinning!

Pinnovation Invitation: Do you have a Pinterest board that you get a lot of feedback on (either through follows, repins, likes or comments)? Why do you think it is popular?



No comments:

Post a Comment