Saturday, February 9, 2013

Valentine's Day | Pinner Brittany Banister



Meet Brittany
Kindergarten teacher Brittany Banister's Valentine's Day board is only one of her 56 Pinterest boards! Her students at Vienna-Finley Elementary in Scott County School District 2 are the benefactors of nearly 2,000 pins that provide inspiration for thematic units throughout the year.  Brittany began pinning over the summer two years ago and with 494 Followers, it's clear others value what she's been curating. 

What prompted you to begin pinning?
When preparing for the start of the 2011-2012 school year, I began seeking out resources on teacher blogs. I heard about Pinterest on "The First Grade Parade" blog, so I decided to check it out. It's all history from there!

Do you curate using any other tools?
I use My Big Campus as well. Pinterest is very user friendly, and there is a world-wide network of users. On both MBC and Pinterest, I have created bundles/boards to go with my weekly thematic units. While I like both, Pinterest is my go-to resource for curating curriculum.

How do you collect pins?
I follow 303 pinners, and most of those are teachers. Some I have met, and some I have not. I also like to use the search option if I am looking for something very specific, such as an anchor chart for a certain skill, or even a recipe. I frequently use the Pin It button when reading teacher blogs.

Any particular recommendations to Follow?
I would recommend following group boards. I follow group boards for very specific topics, but I don't have to follow everyone in that group. Many teachers from around the country join the group boards and contribute resources they find or create.

Do you have a favorite board(s) you curate?
I have boards for most of my weekly units, as well as some general boards. I also have personal boards for recipes, style, and home ideas. My favorite educational board is probably my "Kindergarten is a Hoot"  board.

Can you share any advice for new Pinners?
Give it a try. Pinterest is by far my favorite teacher resource. You can find anything and everything on Pinterest. It is fun and beneficial at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment