Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The World Is My Classroom | Pinner Betsy Pruitt

Meet Betsy Pruitt
The fact that Betsy has liked over 650 pins on Pinterest tells you a couple of things. One, she enjoys providing feedback. This serves her well as an academic coach for Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation. And two, she's been on Pinterest a bit longer than others. In fact, Betsy began pinning in the spring of 2011. Since then, she's started 32 boards and has pinned what basically averages 100 pins per board. 

What prompted you to begin pinning?
A friend of mine kept emailing me things she had pinned, so I was intrigued with how Pinterest worked. I was planning a trip to England and needed one place to curate all of my ideas, plans, and dreams for the trip and Pinterest seemed to be the perfect mashup! I am a very visual person, so seeing everything laid out in front of me really appealed to my creative brain. When I discovered how collaborative Pinterest is, it really appealed to my need for community-so I was hooked!

Do you curate using any other tools?
I have attempted to use a few other tools because I thought they may be more "professional" but I have always come back to Pinterest because it meets my needs better than any other app or site I have found. It functions as a virtual space where I can curate all the different aspects of my life in one place. I love that I can use Pinterest for my family, my health, my work, and my dreams.

How do you collect pins?
I collect pins in every way imaginable! I follow lots of Pinners who are respected educators so I get a lot of pins from them. I also explore topics and find new boards and people to follow that way. Many times when I am reading an article online there will be an option to "PinIt!" so I will add to my boards from those outside sources as well.

Any particular recommendations to Follow?
Larry Ferlazzo, Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach, Cybraryman, ASCD, Hello Literacy, Eric Sheninger

Do you have a favorite board(s) you curate?
My favorite board is "The World is My Classroom." I am able to collect new ideas from educators across the US and around the world and share them with people who follow me on Pinterest. I also pin specific things to this board that I want to use with teachers or classrooms in my coaching.

Can you share any advice for new Pinners?
Explore the site and search for any topics you are interested in. Start to follow people who pin topics and ideas you are interested in. You can search your own Facebook friends to see who is already on Pinterest and follow them. Try to click on a pin to go to the site before you pin it so you do not pin spam (unusual, but it happens). Curate topics that are important or useful to YOU! Your boards will be unique just like you are!

Pinterest is an ideal place to put ideas, pictures, projects, advice, resources, and ideas for a rainy day all in one spot. The only downfall is finding time to Pin AND to follow up on all the great ideas you find on Pinterest. Happy Pinning!

1 comment: