Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Teach Not Block | New Tech Network


About New Tech Network
New Tech Network is a nationwide program supporting schools, districts and communities in developing innovative public high schools that promote deeper learning, project based learning and 1:1 technology. According to their map, Indiana has 23 New Tech Network schools. Theresa Shafer, Online Community Manager for New Tech Network began pinning for the organization when Pinterest was still in beta. She took time to share her thoughts with us.

What prompted you to begin pinning?
I've never been really great at using bookmarking tools and thought this one might work for me to use in that way because it is totally visual so it fits my learning style!

Do you curate using any other tools?
I use storify for our #PBLChat archive, and I've attempted to use Diigo, but it has just never stuck for me. Now that I use a site URL2pin.it, I can pin sites that even say "no pinnable image." 

How do you collect pins?
I scan others pins from pinners that I like, pin articles and resources that I find via Twitter.

Any particular recommendations to Follow?
Scholarhip Experts, Indiana eLearning, Mashable, ISTE, Edutopia and of course, us, NewTechNetwork!

Do you have a favorite board(s) you curate?
So hard to choose just one! I love our "Teach Not Block," "Project Based Learning" and "Digital Citizenship" boards.

Can you share any advice for new Pinners?
Don't be afraid to rearrange and edit. The system I originally set up was just to general, I will likely go in and edit again soon since we are getting so many pins. Being able to customize your board cover is also great, the image you choose can really help in defining your board.

I love using Pinterest to grab and share ideas for other educators, but if I were still in a classroom or school district, I would definitely use it school wide to pin resources for parents. I can imagine boards for: Nutrition, Read Alouds, Bullying, Math Practice, Creative Play Ideas, Fun Family Trips, College and Career, FAFSA, and sooooo many others!

View today's highlighted board

No comments:

Post a Comment