Thursday, February 21, 2013

Kinder Writing | Kara Bunch

Meet Kara Bunch
According to this kindergarten teacher from Mayflower Mill Elementary in the Tippecanoe School Corporation, Pinterest is one of the best things on the internet!  Kara finds it  convenient to access the social bookmarking site on the computer and even on the go using her iPhone. Finding new ideas to enhance her students' learning experience fuels her excitement for teaching. 

What prompted you to begin pinning?
I wanted some new ideas for teaching to keep it exciting.  As a kindergarten teacher, I need to keep it fun, bright, and interactive. I love to be crafty and Pinterest was the perfect place for me. As a new mom, I believe in working SMARTER not HARDER!

Do you curate using any other tools?
Our school uses Twitter for educational reasons and I am not a big fan of it. I don't like the short phrases and hashtags. It's very hard for me to follow as I am a visual person. I think Pinterest is very user friendly and being able to search any topic is super easy. 

How do you collect pins?
I do a combination of things. I follow a lot of teacher friends that I teach with, have taught with, or know from other schools. I always check to see what they have pinned for the day. Then I go to the education category nightly. I also search weekly on the topics I am discussing for the week or common core skills. 

Any particular recommendations to Follow?
Not really.  Just start your own board and follow colleagues or search other boards on a specific topic.

Do you have a favorite board(s) you curate?
I am a huge fan of my kindergarten boards. I have one for each month since we have different themes that we teach monthly.  I also have one for each subject area Kinder math, Kinder reading, and Kinder writing. Another one I have is school fun. This one just has creative ideas and classroom management ideas. The last is whole brain teaching, which is one classroom management idea I practice in my classroom.

Can you share any advice for new Pinners?
Start small, organize your boards into multiple categories so that when you need to find something you can quickly. Think specific not broad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment