Monday, February 25, 2013

Elearning | Pinner Dawna Montgomery

About Dawna Montgomery
Since the start of this school year, Center Grove High School Family and Consumer Science teacher, Dawna Montgomery has been using Pinterest to curate class content as well as a few personal picks.  It's hard to tell which is which in the collection of 3,300 pins that fill her 20 boards. While we chose to feature her board on eLearning, we would be remiss if we didn't encourage you to check out Understanding Changing Education!

What prompted you to begin pinning?
Because I teach 5 different subjects at the high school level, plus collaborate on Health for Center Grove Global Campus, it was important to find a method to keep web links and content organized.

Do you curate using any other tools?
I initially used linoit.com to keep track of web sites. In linoit.com, I would create a cork board for each class; paste the web link into the post it note, and write a quick summary of the link. Pinterest saves me time. I do not have to go from the website to an application. Pinterest allows me to view the web page and add to my assigned Pinterest page with a simple click.

How do you collect pins?
Over time I have found people who share similar interest as my own. I will follow all of their boards if they are applicable to me, my interest and the courses I teach. If all of their boards are not applicable to me, I will only follow their one or two boards that apply. I will also browse boards of the people, the people I am following, follow. ;o) I have used the search tool with success. I also now look for the Pinterest icon on web pages when I happen upon web pages I find on my own. I am able to link it to the subject board it pertains to in my Pinterest account.

Any particular recommendations to Follow?
Subject Specific: Health Blog, Baby Center, Insiders Health and Health Tap
There are not as many resources for FACS as other content areas. I apprecitate there are some other people in my subject area sharing resources.

eLearning: Mashable, Edutopia, Instructional Teachnology Solutions, Edudemic, New Tech Network, ASCD, CariAlwaysLearning, Indiana ELearning and Christopher Pappas

Do you have a favorite board(s) you curate?
Health
Child Development
Adult Roles and Responsibilities
General FACS

Can you share any advice for new Pinners?
Do not be afraid to create new boards. Putting too many things onto a board can be distracting and not time effecient. Content you pin can be more specifically organized. For example, my HEALTH board has pins for all dimensions of health; I could have created boards for each diminsion to be more specific and locate items more quickly.

Also, check the link to what you are pinning. You may like the picture and decide to pin only to realize the web link was not what you had thought.

View Dawna's Board

2 comments:

  1. Dawna - this is such a great collection of information and tools! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You've definitely put a lot of time into curating these boards. Your eLearning board will be especially helpful to me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete