Monday, February 4, 2013

Education and Leadership | Pinner Chris Atkinson


Meet Chris
Carmel Clay Schools administrator Chris Atkinson can be found tweeting as @ChrisLAtkinson. In fact, just a couple of weeks ago he facilitated one of our Thursday night chats. The topic was how technology can be used to develop leadership skills. Whether you engage with Chris in a virtual or face-to-face discussion, you quickly realize that his approach to learning technologies is focused on having a meaningful purpose. You're sure to pick up on his desire to drive users to a deeper discussion and we couldn't be happier to hear him stress these ideals.

What prompted you to begin pinning?
My wife invited me and I wanted to try the service. I started using more heavily when I realized 95% of my staff were connecting on Pinterest in 2012. 

Do you curate using any other tools?
As an avid Twitter user I was reluctant to use Pinterest since my PLN (Personal Learning Network) is mostly on Twitter. Hardly any of my staff were avid Twitter users, so I decided Pinterest is a medium I needed to explore more deeply in order to connect to my staff virtually.   

How do you collect pins?
Mostly repinning. I also curate some content from my RSS feeds in Google Reader then open them to pin the content. 

Any particular recommendations to Follow?
(Honestly we did not bribe him) http://pinterest.com/INelearn/

Do you have a favorite board(s) you curate?
It just so happens we picked Chris' favorite board to feature! 

Can you share any advice for new Pinners?
Pinterest is great, but from an educator's standpoint I often see it flooded with "worksheet" propaganda; so avoid the garbage and be a wise curator. Use Pinterest for inspiration and look for ways to connect beyond just pinning, join other social networks like Twitter to begin conversations, with some of the very Pinners you follow, centered around taking education forward!

View Chris' board

2 comments:

  1. Chris, your concern about worksheets is valid and it caused me to pause. I looked over my pins with the question, "How does this transform learning?" in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your concern about worksheets; but sometimes there may be a great word problem or situation that someone else has thought out that is great. Not just for drill/kill; but also great for graphic organizers. Good stuff on Chris' board- I am a follower now.

    ReplyDelete